Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Wednesday Early AM - Holy SHIT

All I can say is, settle in and sit down, this is gonna be a long one.

And, it's going to be a completely different blog entry than it WOULD have been, if EL and I hadn't just had a long talk. I was so pissed before we talked I was sure it was over. I thought "My bubble finally burst, I've seen enough, it's done, over - fucking finished as of now." But, not so much now.

Let's do it this way...first, quick update: I am off for 3 weeks on FMLA leave from work. I still have paid vacation to use, I took the FMLA to "cover" me legally.

I have an appointment with another lawyer on Thursday, as well as a therapy session that evening. If nobody raises any big objections, I'll still be taking the trip to visit my sister in NY for the weekend with The Boy, and then the long road trip to Florida for a few days after that.

I talked to my Dad tonight, let him know I'd like to come down, they were OK with that. He also gave me the advice that it's time to move on, stop thinking there's any outcome coming from this but a divorce, and to make my preparations and cover my ass, etc.



OK...well, here's what I wanted to call this blog entry. Either, "What a DECIETFUL BITCH!" or, "Don't Kill The Goose That Lays the Golden Eggs, JD!"

Why?

Well...and it always happens this way, doesn't it - I went out to the garage to look in her car tonight, about 1 AM. She was asleep upstairs. I'm sleeping downstairs the last few days. (I love my fireplace!) I was actually just going to look to see if she got the mail, but I won't lie - of COURSE I was going to look for any lawyer envelopes, things like that.

But - here's a weird one. The car was locked. In the garage, locked. She has NEVER done that in her life. Now, under normal circumstances I'd have thought maybe she just hit the button by accident or something. But these aren't normal, are they?

So, what would YOU do? Well I don't know, but what I did was figure out where the keys were. The spare set was NOT hanging on the rack where it should be - OK, this doesn't look like an accident. I wouldn't have torn the house apart, but her jacket was right there so I thought, let's see - sure enough keys in the jacket. Hit the button to open the door and went downstairs.

Looked in the trunk - logically I thought that's where whatever she didn't want me to see would be, but it wasn't. Hmm. Looked thru some mail scattered on the backseat, found my magazine and the results from the last time I gave blood (no "good" news yet, still a way-high 230 cholesterol, but we'll see what it is NEXT time I donate on 12/29!) and then, just because why not, slid my hand under the seat. A large pile of papers there.

I honestly thought I'd find some legal crap. Wrong.

No - all I could think was, "Thank you, EL!" Because what I had in my hand was 19 page Email chain between her and The Guy. Ended the affair my ASS. Dated 11/15 (Monday) and containing things that are so filthy, I would never write them here because I STILL have hopes someday she'll be my wife again. And I know, it's the fantasy and excitement of the affair that leads to that behavior. This woman isn't my wife.

Well, anyway - the "Thank You" was because this was INCONTROVERABLE proof, and 100% admissable in a court. She left these papers in our car (hers technically, but by PA laws, ours) in our garage.

I immediately left to go make copies. I'm talking like, I came in, put on shoes, shut the vent on the fireplace so the house wouldn't burn down, and left. I realized later I didn't have my wallet or phone, two things I never leave the house without. I had my badge for work in the car so went there to make copies. I actually had to stop and unload/disassemble the handgun I keep in the car as I realized I didn't have my wallet and hence my permit on me, and that's a big crime right there (and something that wouldn't look too good on my record at this current time now would it?) and the whole way I was thinking....

HOW could I be so naive. How DECEITFUL she was! To look me in the eye and swear it was over, then be doing this. How lucky I was to have solid proof - the emails I screen-printed might have been considered "intercepted electronic communications" and the other one-page Email I had really just said "love you / love you too" on it.

But not this one...oh no, friends. This was truly the unHoly Grail of proof of the affair. I was pissed, I though - shit, I should maybe hire a private investigator when I'm gone on vacation, because that's how indiscreet she is, I could almost guarantee more proof, and photos this time. But, nah.

I also felt kind of sad. WHAT THE FUCK did she have that in the car for?! Does she WANT to get caught? And sad also, because, it shows she's still so wrapped up in the affair, the fantasy, etc. that she still wasn't thinking clearly with wanting the divorce...but at the same time it seemed clear it was going to happen now more than ever.

So...I was at war with myself. Tell her when I got home, confront her, or not?

Hence, "Don't Kill The Goose That Lays The Golden Eggs." I had decided, as useful and as gratifying it would be to rub her nose in this stuff, because I'd pretty much decided it was over...well, the Machiavellian in me said, nope, it's over anyway, might as well just put these back and see if maybe she keeps doing this stupid move and brings more home.

I even decided to keep the originals and put the copies back instead.

I figured this was the smartest move. Though confronting her might feel good, it would serve no real purpose other than to make her feel guilty, embarrassed, angry, etc. If the marriage was truly over as it appeared, I had to just keep the copies to myself to use at the proper time. By the time I got home I'd gone from "anger" to once again, feeling sorry for her, upset that she'd be so deceitful over something so childish, and sad that she was so wrapped up in this affair she still wasn't thinking straight.

Well, you can guess, right?

I get home - go into the garage. Hmm, the car is locked. Did I lock it without thinking? Or - did she come down, and does she know?

When I left I wasn't particularly quiet, I didn't really care what she thought, though, I sort of figured she'd just think I went for a drive, or to go see the Leonid Meteor Shower (which is tonight, by the way, but by the time you read this, too late!) from a darker spot, or whatever.

But, sure enough, when I walked into the living room, there she was sitting there on the couch. "HI!" I said, all cheerful, knowing the game was up. I was relieved, this meant we could have it out and I had no choice. "What's up?" I knew she knew, but just wanted to play it out.

I forget what she said, something like "You went in my car, I want my email" or something. "Sure" I said, "Here ya go!" And then she said, "And I want those copies, too!"

"Sorry, no way...I think we need to talk." And conversation ensued.

(BTW, of course I had left copies at work, where there are also copies of all the other proof, locked in my cabinet...)

Well, I won't try to recap the whole conversation here.

Martha and "Learned" you'd be proud of me - I got angry (but just angry, not "scary") and let her have it. She was actually starting out to be offended like "How dare you go in my car!"

I stopped that right off. I said, was she nuts? Did she realize what she'd given me in proof? How it was in OUR car (community property remember) in OUR garage and I had every right to have a copy.

But also - How much she was hurting me by this - how I didn't know who she was anymore. How I couldn't believe she could ever be so deceitful, so sneaky, such a filthy liar about things. I really let it out, because, it seemed like "go for broke" night. I said - she was offended I looked in her car? She was having an AFFAIR! I had a RIGHT to be sneaky to find out the truth, when she's done nothing but lie to me since the whole thing came out. And on and on.

But...I also said, I felt bad. I felt this proved she was so wrapped up in the fantasy of the affair she had no clue what she was doing. I said, I KNOW she hates it when I assume I know what she's feeling, but in this case I was sure - everyone I've talked to, every website I've read, all agree - an affair is a perfect fantasy, infatuation, lust - but no logic. That this just meant she couldn't be thinking clearly about the rest of the situation.

I said, listen - look me in the eyes - I STILL LOVE YOU! Even after reading this filth, and knowing how you've continued to lie to me through all this, I STILL do. I STILL want her to just TRY to work on this marriage and stop this silly childish crap.

I was angry, but calm. I let her talk. We had a very long talk, about two hours, 'till after 3AM.

She just doesn't know what she's thinking right now. She would blurt out things like, "See, we can never get back together now..." (which means, if you ask me, she was thinking about it still) and "You'd never want me back after that (pointing at the printouts) which again shows she might want back in but thinks she can't.

She admitted to the guilt. She admitted she'd tried to break it off but it went right back on again. She admitted she MIGHT want to try, but it seems hopeless after something like this.

I kept saying - let's just TRY.

She keeps saying she can't give up the affair, she doesn't think she can. That she doesn't love me anymore, isn't attracted to me. Is still afraid of me, and now these trust issues.

Look, I'm not crazy - I know it's unlikely this is going to end any way other than divorce. But I kept saying to her - those feelings are all wrapped up together. If she didn't fear me (that's a big one to work on) she might be able to feel love and attraction again. If she does, she might not want the affair - but she won't want the love and attraction to me while she's seeing him, etc.

It went around and around. She kept saying she couldn't see stopping the affair until it "burned out." Even though she KNEW it was just a fantasy, it was making her happy.

I said that's one thing I couldn't consent to - she basically does want to get the best of both worlds, have an affair then come back to the marriage "refreshed." No way.

The night and conversation was still inconclusive, but the fact we had such a long talk seemed useful. She agreed to go to counseling on Thursday and try to talk out some of these issues - how to get past the fear and trust, was it worth trying, and could she find a way to give up the affair.

I'm not hopeful, but neither am I desperate. I still am not changing anything about what I'm doing - still going away for the weekend, and the week. She'll do what she does. Maybe I can convince her to go see my therapist instead of me next week when I'll be gone.

Nothing was solved or resolved, really, except she CONTINUALLY kept saying how she's not going to get nasty int he divorce, never wanted to, didn't understand why I was being so sneaky, etc. I actually choose to believe her, BUT I'm not naive either, I'm keeping the emails of course and told her in no uncertain terms I would use them if I had to, but didn't want to - I love her too much to do that to her as long as she doesn't try to "screw me" in the divorce.

One interesting thing - but let's NOT start this debate again, OK - was that she admitted she knew he never told his wife.

She also has still not really told him I know about it all, etc.

I am NOT CALLING HIS WIFE though, so please stop asking me to. Not until I know there's no point in anything else. I asked her, to see what she'd say, what would she do if I called HIM? She said she'd leave immediately and if I had any hope of a reconcile forget it.

I KNOW that's manipulation, people, don't point that out, I'm not stupid. I choose to let myself be manipulated right now. I can call anytime I want, with better proof than ever, so I am in no hurry.

Oh, in a stalker move, I took a turn past his house (I was in the general neighborhood) to see what kind of car he has. Since there was one in his driveway with a license plate on the front of his favorite sports team, I'll assume that's his.

I may actually call a private investigator and find out how expensive it is. Now that I know his car, address, and all her info, it would be easy to give a PI that info and he could follow them - I'm SURE she will be indiscreet while I'm gone. Unless she tries to commit to counseling on Thursday, tough I'm not optimistic, really. She really is convinced she will never be happy with me again and must have the divorce...but I just don't know.

So…long story short…I’m not naïve. This is bad, definitely. She still looks like she wants out, wants to be with the other guy, even though she also clearly knows he’s just a fling. But she just thinks, it’s the only way she’ll be happy, and she’ll just keep doing it until she gets it over with, and that she fears me too much to ever be happy or feel any other feelings for me again, etc.

I keep saying, I don’t think those are as insurmountable as she thinks. People can change and she admits if she thinks about a future in 6 months where we’re a happy loving family again, she’d like that. That’s more than she could say before.

She admits if I’d talked to her 3 months sooner, she’d have tried and it might’ve worked.

She even admits, if I’d never suspected a thing and the affair burnt out, and then I approached her like I did to say I wanted it to get better (basically 6 months too “late”) she also would have tried and it might’ve worked.

So I said – listen, that means we should try. If you get past this fear, and this affair, which are linked – you might feel good about other things again. I feel bad for her, I love her, she’s so lost and confused…some of that’s my fault, some of it his, much of it her own…I just can’t help it, everytime I think I’m over it and finally “done” something like this happens…

So, I’m back to thinking there might be a ray of hope after all, but I’m still leaving on my vacation, still going to let her figure this crap out, and not too optimistic about the counseling, but if she even goes one more time, might help.

She knows she’s not thinking right, is the good thing. She’s pissed at me is still the major bad thing.


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am proud of you. You needed to do that. As for your wife leaving those emails in the car, sounds like she wanted to get caught, it's a cry for help, she feels trapped in the affair. It is not uncommon.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I wonder how long the affair would last if his wife knew? My situation was different in the fact that the man I had an affair with was single, so I don't really know what to tell you to do in this situation, but think about it.

My husband gave me an ultimatum, stop it now, or that's it, it's over for good. I don't know if this is the right thing for you to do, every situation is different of course.

Can I suggest some reading material? There is a book that has a lot of insights on extra marital affairs, it's called, Torn Asunder, Recovering from extra marital affairs, by Dave Carder. It was actually useful for both my husband and myself.

I just wanted to add, I am glad I found your blog, it is good for me to read, I am seeing insights to what my own husband must have felt at the time.

Oh yeah, make it clear to her that while you are gone it is illegal for her to change the locks on the house, just a thought. My husband wanted to change the locks when we were separated, his lawyer told him he couldn't, that I had every right to come in the house to retrieve my personal belongings, that if he did change the locks, he could be arrested.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Fensty said...

We did discuss the "divorce" a lot. She feels it's the only way out right now, I kept telling her there's another one, which is stop the affair and try to save the marriage, get back to what it was. If she gets past the fear, and the anger, she might find feelings are left she walled up behind that shield...

As for an ultimatum, well, we tried that and she said that's what pushed her to wanting the divorce.

Reading all that back this morning, it looks like I'm King Stupid being manipulated like crazy. You have to trust me on this one, everyone - she WAS remorseful and she DID feel trapped. So...I said, let's just forget it for another 48 hours and go to counseling together to my Thursday night session and see what Dennis thinks about all this.

She just feels trapped by the affair, by her lies, by the things she's done - she wants out because it's easier, she doesn't want to stop the affair, that's true, but she might if she gives herself half a chance, and if she starts being honest and things.

The ultimatum I'd given her before pushed her to where between the fantasy affair and reality of me and working to save the marriage it seemed the easy option was to do the affair, but she's thinking more now.

I still don't know what's going to happen. She does still have a lot of fear - I could see it, she's not faking.

I wish I could get her to see she doesn't need to be "afraid" of me. But she's also afraid of staying in the marriage because she thinks it won't get better, and I know it will. She thinks she'll be unhappy and loveless forever, but I told her - just TRY. If you're giving it a REAL HONEST TRY and it's not coming back after a few months, then sure, the only logical thing to do then is seperate...but if only she'd TRY first.

She was afraid I was planning to steal The Boy and never come back from New YOrk this weekend. I tried to get her to see how crazy that is - why would I want to be a fugitive from justice, etc...? She's that worried.

I also believe she's being honest about the divorce. She even said she'd give up her half of the house equity and all that, just sign over the mortgage, if I'd commmit to more child support. I choose to believe her, that she just is doing what she thinks is right for The Boy. She was very upset that I seemed to be being so "sneaky" but I just told her over and over - I don't know who you ARE anymore. The woman I know that wouldn't ever try to screw her husband for alimony, or full custody, or any of tha tstuff - is NOT the woman who would write those Emails, let alone leave them where I could find them.

(BTW, she said they were like a "souvenier" which I believe. She is "into" crime stories, serial killers, etc. and we talked about how often they get caught because they take something from the crime scene, etc. I really believe that's sort of what it is. A combination of the thrill of having somethign she shouldn't, along with a reminder she was once again the object of someone's desire and all that...)

I am not sure where all this is going to go, by any means. I do not think I'm being manipulated, I think she's lost, confused, scared, caught up in the fantasy, like you said - and really thinks this is best. I still think she might see other alternatives if ONLY she'll stop the affair. She doesn't think she can but maybe she can find it in herself. She still wants to "seperate" but I told her, I can't afford it and neither can she..and she only wants to do that to continue the affair and not feel guilty, which is the ONE thing I cannot let happen...I do have some male pride left on that...

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course she has a lot of confusion and fear. She is on an emotional roller coaster, as you are also.

He is a fantasy, but what she doesn't realize yet, that is it only a fantasy. It is most doubtful that he will leave his wife for her. And even if she says she doesn't want that, deep inside she's hopeful that he will.

Right now, she wants the best of both worlds, but you don't have to accept that. I know you need to tread carefully at this point, so it's hard to say what you should say or do next.

I think it is a wise move on your part to not talk about it until you go to therapy with her. I hope she doesn't back out, she needs a place where she feels "safe" at this point to express her feelings. One thing the counselor told my DH was to find ways to make me feel safe.

Also, if the affair is going to end, she needs to stop ALL contact completely for her to be successful and for your marriage to get back on track.

Right now, she doesn't know what she wants. An affair causes such confusion in one's heart and mind, I can't even describe it. She thinks she is in love with him, but what she is really in love with is the escape, the fantasy. Believe me, if she lived with him for a while, she would see he is not all that she thinks he is.

I think right now she is probably more afraid of herself than you. She is afraid of losing it totally, what she doesn't realize that the longer she continues this affair, the more she is going to hurt herself.

I think part of her has hope that she can save your marriage and that is why she lied and told you it was over when it wasn't. She also doesn't want anybody to think badly of her because she already feels badly about herself.

These are just observations. I remember all those feelings all to well. It takes a lot of time and effort to save a marriage after an affair, but it is well worth it.

I think it is a good sign that she opened up to you somewhat, don't give up yet.

signed,

Learned the hard way in PA.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

BH,
As you know I went through the same thing your going through. I got evidance from a PI and everything else. He tried to turn it in to my fault. I was sneaking by hiring the PI. Mind you he was going to Flordia every 6 weeks to be with her and I was home with 5 kids. I was sneaking by looking up information about her. He was just mad because he got caught. I hope counsoling works for you guys. Go on your trip and try to relax. I have to agree with your dad, cover your behind and get ready to move on. It's hard to do, belive me. I still have my down days. I'll keep you in my prayers.

9:58 AM  
Blogger ~pen~ said...

(((BH)))

no condemnation, only a hug. i know how hard that was for you, i am sorry she is lying to you (and has been). she is in an addictive situation where it seems like she can't/won't break free. the adrenaline rush is too great; however, i won't tell you to tell the o.m.'s wife, but once the secret's out, the rush ain't so hot any more.

the whole situation is so dramatic, and i know you have another post or two i should probably go peruse, but you know what? i am totally proud of you for getting pissed for the right reasons! she is the one who is in the wrong, i don't care how much you want to justify what she is doing based on how you were in the past. you are willing to move forward and still are seeking reconciliation and healing...bless your heart.

(ready to go to church yet??) :)

p

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading this whole blog...

If your continued belief that she will change her mind is driving me crazy, I can only imagine how she feels. I hope your vacation helps.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Fensty said...

Why shouldn't I think she'll change her mind? She's being stupid, chucking our life away over a year of me working too hard, some temper outbursts and an affair that's about 6 weeks old.

I dunno, I've come a long way since I started writing this blog. I no longer thing I'm all to blame, and I definitely think she's childish and stupid for not even trying to fix her marriage.

But yeah, she's going crazy from it, too. Why not all 3 of us, eh?

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home