Fallujah in Pictures
You know, nothing is right about this. How is this better than Saddamn Hussein?
Fallujah in Pictures
Don't click if you can't accept reality. It's bad. Nobody "wins" in this .
Fallujah in Pictures
Don't click if you can't accept reality. It's bad. Nobody "wins" in this .

5 Comments:
Two firemen and three police officers from our small town (and good friends of my husband) are all in Fallujah today (or were on Sunday anyway). You've never seen a town come together in prayer like ours has in the past two months or so. They are prayed for by name before each council meeting, football game, and every single day in the public schools over the intercom.
Sad pictures. I wish I hadn't seen them so I could pretend that my idea of what's going on over there was accurate. Political (and religious) differences aside, JD, that site tears me up. Thanks for opening my eyes.
Take Care,
Dana
Don't get me wrong, I hope and wish for our troops safety, and the safety and security of the innocent people caught up in the middle over there...one of my best friend's wives is about to be called up and will surely be sent there, she's a medic and will be right up in the front dealing with all that.
I don't have compassion for the actual terrorists, those who torture and kill hostages, etc...though I'm sure some of those "insurgents" are caught up in the same wave of patriotism and fervor to protect their homeland as WE are.
That's why I blame Bush and his cabal for bringing this on. It wasn't necessary. ALL those people, the innocent, our troops who are following orders and doing what they feel is right, the Iraqi fighters who are also following orders and doing what they feel is right - all of them.
There is a lot of talk right now about a Marine who shot and killed a wounded Iraqi who was no threat. You know, I don't blame that Marine, not really. He'd been shot the day before and just returned to duty. He'd been surrounded by all this death, killing, etc. I can't judge a man for his actions who's caught up in that, when he comes home and thinks about it, for the rest of his life, that will be all the punishment he needs.
Some of those Iraqi's fighting may live the same way. They may also be able to tell themselves, "I was fightin the foreign invaders" to feel better, just as we can tell ourselves "we were protecting our country from a madman, and trying to bring freedom to an oppressed people" to make ourselves feel better. But it doesn't make it right.
I can't be a hypocrite and "pray" on this one, for two reasons - #1, I don't really believe in God, but as I've said before, sometimes I'll pray to him for OTHER people. But #2, I can't ask God to defend what's going on over there - the Iraqis are asking God the same thing! God shouldn't have to take sides in the wars of men justified for their own reasons.
Ask him to bring them home safely? Sure, that's a safe prayer even God shouldn't have a problem with, I guess. But until we leave that country to the Iraqi's...nobody will be safe.
Their destiny is in THEIR hands, and their God's if they choose to believe in one. We don't belong there messing in their country and their destiny, when they clearly don't want us.
OK, soapbox mode off.
Soapbox? LOL
You get off your soapbox; I need it as a stepstool to my pedestal.
TC,
D
Don't worry, my friend...I wouldn't have put something political on the blog if not looking for insights!
And no, it's not a problem - I can easily seperate your political insight from your relationship advice. :)
Anyway - fact is, Saddamn was not a threat to America. He was not even a threat to his neighbors. No less a person than Colin Powell is on record saying that in 2001.
He was a threat to his own people, I suppose - a brutal dictator with a personality cult around him. His sons as well.
But - like you said, at what point does America get involved, in something that really doesn't affect us?
How many lives? How about, we ask the people in the country we want to invade next time, "Hey, you guys want us there?"
America created itself because our ancestors didn't like the tyranny they lived under. So did the French, the English, and hell I'm no world historian, sorry, but most other "free" countries did the same.
Why, then, if Iraq, or Sudan, or Liberia, or Haiti, or the Ivory Coast is in thrall to an evil dictator, do WE have to go free them? When they specifically don't want us to?
The jingoistic thing to say is that "terrorists hate freedom." That is such a pack of lies. They want American's foreign policy to stay the hell out of their politics and their nations.
Guess what - in 1776, WE were the terrorists. WE were the ones shooting from cover, when you didn't do that sort of thing. We were the ones who targeted officers on purpose. We were the ones who hid among the regular people and formed secret military societies.
And we bested the most powerful nation on Earth at the time with those tactics.
Iraqi's have clearly shown they are capable of fighting hard for something they believe in, against impossible odds. Not just in this war, but in their own proud history. Let them do that to themselves, then, and choose their own destiny.
History repeats.
Hmm.
Guess what - I'd take option #1, too. But I'd give them plenty of warning first - "OK guys, in 5 years, you're on your own. I suggest you put down the rubber bullets and head to the bargaining table."
Israel makes it's own problems, they need to make their own solutions. Besides, they have nukes. If the Arabs want to take that on, on their own head be it.
OK, I know that's silly hyperbole, because then the Arabs would enter their own arms race with the Israelis and that's just bad news for all.
I think the answer is somewhere in the middle, of course, as usual.
As for Hussein - Kuwait was 1991!! And, I happen to think, a very "just cause" war, fought properly, and for all the right reasons.
The current tragic embarrassment couldn't be more unlike Kuwait. Saddamn was contained, limited, at war with his neighbors, hated by his own people...a coup was a matter of time. His sons would never have wrested power after his fall.
Look how fast his troops threw down their arms and ran and hid - even the vaunted "Fadayeem" (spelling?) disappeared overnight.
I believe Bush II had a chance to buy off Saddamn' generals and stage a coup, but then that wasn't what Bush wanted...
Post a Comment
<< Home