Wednesday. Midnight. Lying here...
We're lying here right now, in bed, together.
She's right there next to me...but feels so far away. I want to reach out, just touch her hair or her face, like I used to. Rub her back. Just that would make me feel so much better. Even two weeks ago, that wouldn't have been an issue. I mean, in retrospect I know now it wouldn't have meant much to her, due to how she felt about me - but she wouldn't have resented it. She wouldn't have pushed my hand away, as she does now.
But I can't even do that. She's so far away. Pleasant to my face, on the surface...but what's going on underneath...I don't know. So distant.
I feel like....my own wife, who I've been with for 9 years....is just some unknowable, unattainable, ideal girl I had a "crush" on in junior high school. Longing for some contact, something, anything at all with the cheerleader* or whatever...you know? But when you actually stood in the lunch line behind them, you couldn't do much more than maybe say "Hi" and then look stupid.
Sitting right next me....but a million miles away.
This is really, really awful.
*'Cheerleader' being a metaphor, people. They weren't my type. But nice to look at, I guess, when you were in Jr. High...
(If you are wondering - yeah, I typed this on my PDA and uploaded it to the blog from the bedroom. Bizarre? Maybe. Not like anything else is happening in here. And no, I never did that "before." Many are the problems in our marriage, but blogging in the bed next to my wife wasn't one of them...)
She's right there next to me...but feels so far away. I want to reach out, just touch her hair or her face, like I used to. Rub her back. Just that would make me feel so much better. Even two weeks ago, that wouldn't have been an issue. I mean, in retrospect I know now it wouldn't have meant much to her, due to how she felt about me - but she wouldn't have resented it. She wouldn't have pushed my hand away, as she does now.
But I can't even do that. She's so far away. Pleasant to my face, on the surface...but what's going on underneath...I don't know. So distant.
I feel like....my own wife, who I've been with for 9 years....is just some unknowable, unattainable, ideal girl I had a "crush" on in junior high school. Longing for some contact, something, anything at all with the cheerleader* or whatever...you know? But when you actually stood in the lunch line behind them, you couldn't do much more than maybe say "Hi" and then look stupid.
Sitting right next me....but a million miles away.
This is really, really awful.
*'Cheerleader' being a metaphor, people. They weren't my type. But nice to look at, I guess, when you were in Jr. High...
(If you are wondering - yeah, I typed this on my PDA and uploaded it to the blog from the bedroom. Bizarre? Maybe. Not like anything else is happening in here. And no, I never did that "before." Many are the problems in our marriage, but blogging in the bed next to my wife wasn't one of them...)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home