Thursday, January 06, 2005

Caveat Freakin' Emptor

So, thinking of ways to cut the budget a little bit, but also knowing I'm bound to start making more long distance phone calls and regional calls...I go take a look at RCN's web page.

RCN is who I've got my cable, cablemodem, and home phone with. Currently we have MCI for long distance which seemed weird to me since I know RCN had package deals.

Well, am I glad I looked.

My bill's been running about $155 a month with them, plus MCI's long distance bill. I have cablemodem, unlimited local calls on the home phone, and digital cable with the crappy HBO/Cinemax package. $3/month inside wire line maintenance - which you might think is a ripoff, until the first time you need something done inside your house!

Well, sometime recently they updated their "bundles." For $160/month (intro offer for $140/mo for first 6 months) I could get unlimited long distance (eliminating the $10-50 a month for MCI!) PLUS everything I already have, free wireline maintenance, more features on the phone (call forwarding will come in handy in particular) and ALL the premium movie channels...like freakin' Starz/Encore/Movie Channel/HBO/Cinemax (about 35 in all) AND all the "video on demand" channels from HBO/Cinemax which is like having a pretty decent sized video library of common/classic movies. Freakin' A.

Of course, that was the only bundle with the unlimited long distance, so I had no choice but to take all the movie channels. So ok, I admit, after 6 months I really won't be saving a whole lot monthly, but I'll have no more long distance charges, so it'll still be a couple bucks a month cheaper. :)


Other news: There is none. The Boy is here hangin' out with me, we've been playing Thomas most of the night, had a nice dinner, etc...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home