Things I Need To Turn To My Advantage
So, every so often, complete strangers tell me this.
I kid you not. At least 2-3 times a year, as far back as into my early 20's. First time I can clearly remember is when I was taking flying lessons at a local airport, and other pilots in the pattern thought I was a professional pilot from my voice. Been hearing it ever since. Talking to strangers on the phone in my job that I had for awhile, of course, I heard it probably 3 or 4 times a week.
And that is:
"Wow - you should be on the radio. Your voice is amazing."
or
"You need to do TV commercials with a voice like that."
and
"Did you go to college for (acting/drama/stage/whatever)?"
along with,
"Were you ever in a band, do you sing?"
Point is, I'm often told I have a great voice. I've done some voiceover stuff, for fun, at my job - on training videos, computer simulations, etc. But that's it, really, just stuff I volunteered for because I'd been told this before.
Happened again today. I had a quick dentist appointment - oral surgeon actually, just to see how my implants are healing.
He ALSO remarked how much weight I'm losing - damn, sorry to keep harping on that but dammit, I NEVER get tired of hearing that!! - and asked what I was doing, etc. Well, he's a nice guy and ironically (scroll WAAAY down the blog if you wanna confirm this) I was in his office the Saturday morning after my wife began the physical affair, it's while he was drillin' out my jawbone that she was home reliving the past night's delights with her boyfriend online. I knew he remembered how whacked out I looked that day (I hadn't eaten in a week at that point, hadn't slept in a couple days, etc.) as he'd asked about that the LAST time I'd been in for a followup.
So, I told him - well, to be honest, it's mainly just a diet, because it was time for a change - and some personal stuff, marriage trouble, etc.
Here's why he's a great doc and I almost wish I needed more dental surgery...lol...he's gotta see a dozen people a day. As a surgeon, they aren't all regulars either. But he immediately looked at my ring finger, said "Wow, I remember when you were in you said you had some stress going on...sorry" and all that stuff.
Well anyway we were only talking for a few minutes, then I asked him a few questions about my horrible jaw pain (TMJ) and he gave me some advice.
And out there at the counter, the 3 cute dental assistants started in with me. "JD - wow, you need to go on the radio...have you ever...?"
Lemme tell ya...ego boost? Yeah. I mean for all I know they were married, but nonetheless, 3 very attractive 30ish dental assistants chatting me up about how sexy my voice is made my night. :)
(Well, I know the one was married because we started talking about her husband's Mustangs, as she was asking about my Ford Racing jacket...)
If complete strangers tell me that so often, it must be true. I dunno, I guess I just have a "sonorous" voice that resonates well and gets people's attention. Plus I can project a lot of character into it - I mean, I WAS a trainer at work, I need to keep the attention of 20+ adults for 8 hours a day...
OK...so that's one thing. I need to stop TALKING about it, and DO it already - get into this voiceover business. I had a rep in one of my classes a few years ago who did that, she gave me her coach's name and some agents, but I never did anything with it. I think I should. What a neat little side income that would be...
The other thing is similiar. I read somewhere, not too long ago, that given a list of things they are most afraid of - most people will rank "public speaking" or "being in front of a crowd" up in the top 5. Like, more than snakes, spiders, fear of being robbed, fear of being stranded by the side of the road, etc.
And...I love it. I THRIVE on it. I can't get ENOUGH of being in front of a crowd of people, giving a speech or a presentation or whatever. Strangers or a crowd of co-workers, doesn't matter.
I NEVER thought that was that unusual. It boggles my mind that people fear that, but apparently, it's quite true.
So. I need to think about some kind of career where these two skills mesh together into something useful.
Suggestions? I wonder if I should be some kind of motiviational or seminar speaker on a travelling circuit or something. My company hires people like that all the time to come in and give management seminars and trainings and things. Maybe that's what I need to look into...?

2 Comments:
Hey, JD.
FYI: You have a great voice. I know you've heard it dozen of times before, but they are right. So all of your anons and other internet readers know, I'm agreeing with the dental folks, etc.
I don't have much time to comment, but I just wanted you to know that I support your right to ignore people who make drastic sweeping assumptions about your character after never having met your, or even spoken on the phone. Isn't it funny how people with faults of their own enjoy poking at the sores of others, just for shits and giggles? Ignore them, hon, they know not of what they speak, er who they type. Something like that.
I'll try to e-mail later.
Take Care,
Dana
Ah, they're entitled to.
I mean, is it really any different from ME poking at the flaws in EL's character? I mean, I revel in it, I WALLOW in it, so, if people want to do the same back to me, fair is fair.
Anyway, that's why the anon comments are allowed. Let people anon away all they want, it all contributes to teaching me something. Even the virulent ones of the past I learned something from...
JD the BH
Post a Comment
<< Home